- Pour 1-part denatured alcohol (or rubbing alcohol)
and 1-part water into a spray bottle or bowl. Wipe surface down with mixture.
- Rinse off any residue with warm water.
- Lightly scuff up any glossy or smooth surfaces to give them tooth.
- 1-part rubbing alcohol and 1-part water.
- Krud Kutter® (Found in most hardware stores)
- 2 coats are all you need.
- Make final strokes long in the direction you want the grain.
- Clean your brush after each coat.
- Allow 2 hours for each coat to dry completely.
- If you are limited on time, then use a blow dryer.
(Dry time may take as little as 5 minutes
when using a blow dryer on high heat)
If you want a smooth finish you can skip this step.
Your brush strokes will make a subtle grain.
- Apply a thin coat of Wood'n Stain in plank sized sections.
- Pull the graining tool through each section while coat is still wet.
- To achieve a wood knot, move your thumb downward and back up quickly while pulling the graining tool in a smooth continuous stroke (From one end to the other without stopping).
- For best results, don't rock the graining tool back and forth too often or else your surface will appear unnatural.
- If you don't like the grain then apply another coat of Wood'n Stain over that section and grain it again.
If you ordered a kit that does not include the topcoat then you must make sure the topcoat you use is appropriate for the project, e.g., interior, exterior, high traffic, etc.
- Apply thin layers of your topcoat until you finish the entire container
- Allow two hours between coats if you are using a Retique It waterbased topcoat
- Follow directions for dry time on any other brand of topcoat
- Retique It will only support the use of our brand of topcoats